The Controls Engineer drives business profitability by performing machine electrical control design and programming on the company’s complete offering of machine tool solutions.
- Apply principles of electrical engineering application to resolve technical issues with machine tool systems
- Design and debug PLC ladder logic for horizontal machining centers, vertical machining centers, and cylindrical grinders
- Prepare documentation for option kits (installation instructions, electrical CAD drawings, logic concepts, drive parameters, etc.)
- Communicate with customers to diagnose control problems and discuss custom control applications and options
- Support machinery installations with electrical and control information as needed
- Travel to customer sites to resolve control problems and issues and provide on-site commissioning of automation systems
- Manage control engineering projects from conception to final implementation
- Configure and test PCs for use in material handling automation systems
- Execute other administrative, support, and/or clerical tasks as assigned on an as-needed basis
The Controls Engineer has no personnel supervisory responsibilities, but (s)he facilitates training of others and has direct responsibility of short/long term projects and their strategic objectives.
The Controls Engineer must be flexible for company funded travel during 40-50% of her/his typical work week. Some projects require travel by automobile/car and/or airplane. International and overnight travel may be required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to provide valid proof of identity and valid United States work authorization documentation
- Ability to successfully complete a company-paid drug test and pre-employment baseline physical
- Hand, arm, and finger dexterity to operate ancillary equipment, tools, and office equipment
- Hearing, color vision, and the ability to push 25 pounds and lift 15 pounds
- Written and verbal communication skills in the English language, including ability to communicate with C-level executives
- Attention to detail, self-motivation, organization, and the ability to process confidential information
- Ability to interpret technical engineering documents (schematic drawings, machine/part blueprints, etc.)
- Understanding of hydraulic, pneumatic, and/or lubrication circuits is highly desired
- Knowledge of PLC ladder logic programming, digital servo systems, and power circuits is highly desired
- Electrical/mechanical aptitude, knowledge of machining fundamentals, GD&T knowledge, and/or statistics are highly desired
- Written and verbal communication skills in the Spanish, Portuguese, and/or Japanese languages is/are highly desired
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering or other applicable discipline, or equivalent experience/knowledge
- Valid driver/operator license that grants the availability for unrestricted travel
- 2+ years of experience with the Microsoft suite of products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- 2+ years of experience with daily use of engineering software (AutoCAD, SolidWorks, etc.)
- 2+ year(s) of experience with PLC control systems, low voltage power, and associated electronics
- 2+ year(s) of experience with integration of PLC and CNC controls on machine tool systems is highly desired
- 2+ year(s) of related experience in the manufacturing or machine tool industry is highly desired
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions. Work is performed while seated in an office environment with minimal exposure to health and safety hazards, and with substantial time spent working with computer equipment. The duties of the Controls Engineer may require exposure to manufacturing areas which require the use of personal protective equipment including but not limited to safety glasses with side shields and mandatory hearing protection.
EOE/AA/ADA: All are encouraged to apply.